“Oh you do take yourself very seriously, lovely Lucy! I’ll tell you what you need…a bit of the light fantastic.”
A very dear friend in Ireland – a very beautiful, glamorous and wise lady now in her 80s – coined this wonderful phrase to describe the importance of allowing ourselves to make time for a little deliberate indulgence and treating ourselves to our favourite “nice things” every now and then.
Here are my favourite “light fantastic” go-tos:
- Pretty hair clips for my little girl (or ‘carelips’ as she calls them)
- Smarties. I know they’re made by Nestle. I’m sorry. I just love the colours (and the chocolate inside, obviously). They make me smile.
- A cup of tea, with a slice of coffee cake. Coffee cake ROCKS.
- Laughing hysterically, at anything really.
- Colourful post-it notes. Strange I know, but I love post-it notes.
- Posh make-up. Just because.
- A good blow-dry. See previous.
- A Dermalogica facial. Hmm I spot a theme emerging.
- A glass of champagne, from a beautiful glass. And it must be champers – on light fantastic days, no other fizz will do.
- The Golden Girls. This needs no explanation.